Welcome! First, open this page in your browser:
Is this the right session for you?
You belong here if:
- You feel very comfortable working with Ruby and Rails
- You have built several Rails projects
- You’re interested in some new ideas
- You’re willing to wrestle with things that might not work the first time
This is not a good session for you if:
- You’re new to Ruby/Rails
- You were in my session this morning
- You want everything to go smoothly
- You only came for the "worker pattern", because I decided it didn’t fit
Are you prepared?
- To join the chatroom at http://jumpstartlab.com/chat
- Ruby 1.9.2 or greater
- Rails 3.1.3 or greater
- Setup the sample project
Get the Blogger project from GitHub and run setup procedures:
1 2 3 4 5
All existing tests should pass. Optionally, run the tests continuously while developing by running
You can also run the tests continuously as we make changes by starting
We’re going to approach this in four segments of about one hour each.
Decorator Pattern with Draper
Open the tutorial at http://tutorials.jumpstartlab.com/topics/decorators.html
Open the tutorial at http://tutorials.jumpstartlab.com/topics/controllers/slimming_controllers.html
Open the tutorial at http://tutorials.jumpstartlab.com/topics/models/facade_pattern.html
Better Models with Modules
Open the tutorial at http://tutorials.jumpstartlab.com/topics/models/modules.html
You’re strongly invited to help improve these tutorials, even while we’re running the session. All the text is available on GitHub, so you can edit it right in the browser. Hit the "Feedback" tab on the left side of any page.